A learning pack has been made for use in future school closures or interruptions. It can be downloaded as a MS Word document or PDF file to suit your device.
SIBC Integrated Sessions:
- 7 May, 2020: Healthy Living and Keeping Safe from Respiratory Diseases
- 14th May, 2020: Healthy Living Session 2
- 21st May, 2020: Session 3 Growing Food
- 28th May, 2020: Session 4 Growing Food 2
- 4th June, 2020: Session 5 – Growing Food 3
- 11th June, 2020: Session 6
- 18th June, 2020: Session 7
- 15th July, 2020: Session 8
- 30th July, 2020: Session 9
- 6th August, 2020: Session 10
- 13th August, 2020: Session 11
- 20th August, 2020: Session 12
- Session 14: Steps to Writing an Expository Essay
- Session 15: Narrative Writing – What is story-telling?
- Session 16: Narrative Writing – Continued
15th July, 2020: Session 8
This is the 8th session of the SIBC Student Learning Continuity Program for Years 7-9, made possible by MEHRD.
Presenter: Georgina Pita
English, Health, Home Economics, Science, Agriculture, and Christian Education have been combined or ‘integrated’ in our last sessions.
English – using verbs and giving instructions.
Health – equips us with knowledge about how to live a healthy life.
Science – explains how food grows in the gardens because of the photosynthesis processing.
Agriculture – how to care for the soil, choose a good place to grow vegetables, and how to care for the plant as it grows so that it is healthy.
Christian Education – We are stewards of God’s creation – the environment. Just as we are blessed with the environment, we have the responsibility to care for it.
Why are we using the radio to help with learning?
The focus of this session is on our homes. Our home is our classroom. We can learn wherever we are. Education – the practice of teaching and learning doesn’t just happen at school. It can happen everywhere. Our willingness to learn is important.
Who am I? Why am I learning? What will I do with my learning? How will it help me to be a productive, useful person in my community?
National Vision for Education in Solomon Islands:
We need Solomon Islanders to develop as individuals. To possess knowledge, skills, understanding and good attitudes needed to earn a living as well as to live in harmony with each other and their environment. We also look to the future where all of us are united and we are all in peace and harmony with fair and equitable opportunities for all.
Education is for a better future for Solomon Islands.
National Anthem of Solomon Islands:
God Save our Solomon Islands from shore to shore
Blessed all our people and all our lands
With your protecting hands
Joy, Peace, Progress and Prosperity
That men shall brothers be, make nations see
Our Solomon Islands, our Solomon Islands
Our nation Solomon Islands
Stands forever more.
Take ownership of what you have learnt. How will it help you contribute to the vision for Solomon Islands? What can we do about the knowledge we have learnt over the previous lessons?
1) Talk to your family about how you can work together to improve life in your home and how you can help to build the community.
2) Think about the National Language in your own language. Could you translate it?
3) Write a song or poem about your family or community, church, etc.