PhET Sim: Least-Squares Regression
Simulation Guide: least-squares-regression-html-guide
- Linear Regression
Create your own scatter plot or use real-world data and try to fit a line to it! Explore how individual data points affect the correlation coefficient and best-fit line.
Sample Learning Goals
- Interpret r (the correlation coefficient) as data points are added, moved, or removed.
- Interpret the sum of the squared residuals while manually fitting a line.
- Interpret the sum of the squared residuals of a best-fit line as a data point is added, moved, or removed.
- Compare the sum of the squared residuals between a manually fitted line and the best-fit line.
- Determine if a linear fit is appropriate.
This resource is aligned with Year 11/Form 5 Maths Curriculum:
Unit 9 Statistics 6
- Scatter Diagrams
- Direct and Inverse (negative correlation)
- Standard deviation for simple frequency distributions (no class intervals)
Permission is granted to freely use, share, or redistribute PhET sims under the CC-BY license.
Attribution: PhET Interactive Simulations
University of Colorado Boulder